Monday, July 18, 2011

The Healing Power of Clean

This is the current state of my living room.


Okay, so this isn't the picture of clean, I know. However, it is a sorting work in progress. After my husband and I got married, I started cleaning the deep and dark places of our apartment. The first thing to be tackled was the Evil Laundry monster. The second thing to be tackled was our Master Bedroom Closet. The closet was a complete zone. We spent the weekend going through clothes- hanging up the ones we want and giving away those we don't. It was exhilarating- shedding all of this extra stuff! Anyway, my most recent goal has been to tackle our storage closet. I am going through and putting all holiday things together, technology items together, and any other things we are storing.  Anyway- if you are feeling the stress of unnecessary clutter here are some quick questions you can ask yourself to figure out if you should keep something or not  ( a problem I struggle with).

1) Have you used the item in the past year?

  • If it's not being used, what use does it serve?


2) What does the item mean to you? 

  •  If it has sentimental value- will passing on the item diminish your feelings. For example, when my mom    passed away when I was a child, my Grandmother saved my of her personal items. As an adult, I have had the responsibility to go through these items and decided what to keep and what not. At first, it almost felt like if I gave something away, I was letting go of a physical piece of my mom. However, with time I have learned that the memory of my mother lives within me not items.
3) In five years, will you have a need for this item in 5 years?


  • For this one, you sort of have to imagine you gave the item away. Do you see yourself seriously having a moment where you wish you still had it AND had a use for it. 


Asking yourself these questions will help you to speed through on otherwise tough process of cleaning. Remember that memories live within you not in a physical realm. You will find that it is indeed true that cleaning out the old kitchen drawer that you haven't seen in years or the linen closet with cobwebs is a healing process.

xoxo,
Suzie


P.S. When it's done, I will post pictures!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment